Replacing career ladders with career lattices:
Using capability frameworks to offer great opportunities in flat structures.
The Client: Energy sector
Providing interesting and engaging career paths for professionals in a flat structure.
- Facilitated a series of workshops with a sample of staff from different professional groups to identify progressive levels of expertise required in the roles.
- Developed a succinct capability framework that described the observed behaviours required at each level for different job clusters, using our tailored framework.
- Developed a career lattice that demonstrated possible paths through job clusters, linked to demonstrated behaviours, knowledge and experience required.
- Clarity of expectations for staff for career development and performance in current roles, assisting retention and engagement.
- Clarity of expectations for managers, with objective and consistent criteria for recruitment, promotion and performance management.
- Objective assessment of organisational capability for the executive and Board .